These Grilled Shishito Peppers come together in just 15 minutes with 4 simple ingredients and serve as a delicious appetizer or side dish!
Shishito peppers are an Asian variety of pepper that is long and slender, similar in shape to a finger. Most shishito peppers are fairly mild but every batch may have one or two spicy ones. These peppers have enough flavor on their own that they require very little preparation, simply toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes and you're done! Anytime my husband heats up the grill for burgers or chicken thighs we like to throw some shishito peppers on first and enjoy them as an appetizer while our main dish cooks.
Here's what you need to make Grilled Shishito Peppers:
- shishito peppers
- olive oil
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make Grilled Blistered Shishito Peppers:
In a bowl, stir together the olive oil, salt and pepper.
Add the shishito peppers, stirring to coat.
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the peppers and grill 3-5 minutes per side, until the peppers have begun to char and soften.
Move the peppers to a serving platter, cool for 3 minutes, then serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.
Want to substitute an ingredient in Grilled Shishito Peppers? Here's how:
- Olive oil - use an equal amount of a different mild oil such as canola oil in place of the olive oil.
- Shishito peppers - use an equal amount of a different type of mild to medium heat small pepper in place of the shishitos such as banana peppers.
Try one of these variations of these charred Shishito Peppers:
- Spicy - add ⅛ teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the olive oil, salt and pepper before tossing with the shishito peppers.
- Sesame - use an equal amount of sesame oil in place of the olive oil for a different twist.
This equipment comes in handy when making Grilled Shishito Peppers:
Leftover cooled cooked Shishito Peppers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Shishito peppers are delicious when tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper and grilled or roasted. Serve them with a dipping sauce for an easy appetizer, as a garnish to an entree like a grilled steak or as a side dish to any grilled or Mexican entree.
Grilled Shishito Peppers are a healthy appetizer or side dish that works for a variety of dietary restrictions. They are low-carb, low-fat, dairy-free, , keto, vegan and gluten-free. Shishito peppers also happen to high in fiber, vitamins A, C and E as well as antioxidants.
Shishito peppers can be tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper and then either grilled, sauteed or roasted for a few minutes on each side just until the peppers start to brown and soften.
Looking for other easy appetizer recipes like this? Try these:
Serve these Grilled Shishito Peppers with one of these cocktails for an easy Happy Hour:
Grilled Shishito Peppers
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, stir together the olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the shishito peppers, stirring to coat.
- Once the grill or grill pan is hot, add the peppers and grill 3-5 minutes per side, until the peppers have begun to char and soften.
- Move the peppers to a serving platter, cool for 3 minutes, then serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended