This delicious Coconut Water Cocktail with Lime is made from 3 simple ingredients -tequila, coconut water and lime juice - resulting in a cocktail that is refreshing and lower in calories than most.
Also known as a Coconut Water Margarita, this cocktail is hydrating and nourishing from the electrolytes and nutrients in the coconut water alleviating the elusive post-drink hangover. Learn more about the health benefits of coconut water. The tropical flavor of this simple cocktail makes it one of my favorite summer cocktails.
This skinny cocktail has a light and neutral flavor allowing it to pair well with a variety of appetizers or entrees. Serve it with Spicy Guacamole, a charcuterie board, Little Smokies Pigs in a Blanket, Baked Cheese Crisps or any appetizer of your choice for an easy Happy Hour.
Here's what you need to make this Coconut Water Cocktail recipe:
- silver tequila
- coconut water
- fresh lime
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make Coconut Water Cocktails:
1. If desired, first salt the rim of the glass by rubbing it with a wedge of lime and then dipping it in a plate of salt.
2. Then, add all the ingredients to the glass, stir, add ice and serve.
Hint: Refrigerate the coconut water ahead of time so that the cocktail components are already chilled. Additionally, store the tequila in the freezer for the same effect.
Want to substitute one of the ingredients in this Coconut Water Margarita recipe? Here's how:
- Tequila - substitute an equal amount of any other liquor in place of the tequila, I particularly like vodka, gin, coconut gin, coconut rum or rum.
- Lime - use an equal amount of lemon juice in place of the lime.
- Coconut water - use an equal amount of coconut milk or juice such as pineapple juice or orange juice in place of the coconut water.
Try this variation of a Coconut Water Margarita:
- The lightweight - reduce the amount of tequila by half for a weaker cocktail with even fewer calories.
- Simple syrup - add ½ oz of simple syrup to your cocktail for a sweeter taste.
A few tools that come in handy for this recipe are:
A Coconut Water Margarita can be made and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just make sure you don't store it with ice so it doesn't get watered down.
To make a pitcher of Coconut Water Margaritas that serves 4, simply quadruple the recipe and serve. Alternatively, you can store the pitcher in the fridge without ice for up to 3 days.
Either rum or tequila pairs best with coconut water as they are light and enhance the natural flavors of the coconut water.
Yes! Coconut water is a great base for low-calorie cocktails. The natural electrolytes in the coconut water are nourishing and hydrating helping to reduce the feeling of a hangover after drinking too many cocktails.
Looking for other healthy cocktail recipes like this? Try these:
Serve this Coconut Water Cocktail with any of these dinner recipes for a fun evening:
Coconut Water Cocktail with Lime
- If desired, first salt the rim of the glass by rubbing it with a wedge of lime and then dipping it in a plate of salt.
- Then, add all the ingredients to the glass, stir, add ice and serve.