This delicious Yogurt Dill Sauce comes together in just 5 minutes with 5 simple ingredients and will elevate all of your Mediterranean-inspired meals.
This Yogurt Dill Sauce recipe is reminiscent of the wildly popular Tzatziki Sauce but without the addition of cucumber. The creamy texture and brightness from the lemon enable this sauce to pair well with a variety of meals, especially anything with hints of Mediterranean food.
Here's what you need to make Greek Yogurt Dill Sauce:
- plain Greek yogurt
- fresh lemon juice
- minced fresh garlic
- dried dill
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make this easy Yogurt Dill Sauce:
1. Add all the ingredients to a small bowl.
2. Whisk to combine. Then serve right away or refrigerate until serving.
Hint: I like full-fat Greek yogurt in this recipe for the flavor, but you can use non-fat yogurt if you prefer, but the flavor of the sauce will be more subtle.
Want to substitute one of the ingredients for this creamy Dill Yogurt Sauce? Here's what I recommend:
- Dried dill - use 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill in place of the dried dill if you prefer.
- Plain Greek yogurt - use sour cream or mayonnaise if you don't have any yogurt on hand.
- Fresh lemon juice - use an equal amount of bottled lemon juice, white distilled vinegar or red wine vinegar in place of the fresh lemon juice.
- Vegan - use any non-dairy plain yogurt in place of Greek yogurt to make this recipe vegan.
Feeling really ambitious? Try this recipe for making your own Greek yogurt at home.
Want to add an extra twist to Dill Sauce? Try this variation!
- Spicy - add ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper to the sauce.
- Yogurt Dill Dressing - thin this sauce with a little milk to turn it into a Yogurt Dill dressing for drizzling over salads.
- Dill dip - replace the yogurt with sour cream to make a dill dip to serve alongside vegetables.
- Extra rich - add 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to the sauce to add a little richness.
Store Yogurt Sauce in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
I don't recommend freezing Yogurt Dill Sauce.
Make sure you use plain Greek yogurt for this recipe, this enables you to skip the tedious step of straining the yogurt for hours which is necessary when not using Greek yogurt. Also, make sure you don't accidentally use vanilla yogurt rather than plain here or the flavors will be off.
Dill Sauce is a creamy sauce, usually made with a base of mayonnaise, sour cream, yogurt, or a combination of the above. Then dill, salt and either lemon juice or vinegar are added. Additionally, some recipes may also include garlic or pepper. Together, these ingredients produce a sauce that is creamy yet tangy and fresh tasting.
Looking for other sauce recipes like this? Try these:
Serve Yogurt Dill Sauce with one of these Mediterranean recipes for a balanced meal the whole family will love:
Yogurt Dill Sauce
- Add all ingredients to a bowl, then whisk to combine. Serve right away or refrigerate until serving.
Make sure you don't leave Yogurt Dill Sauce sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.