This easy Mediterranean Chicken Tray Bake cooks hands-free in the oven in just 30 minutes, comes together with just a few simple ingredients and is absolutely delicious when served in salads, sandwiches and bowl meals.
This Mediterranean Chicken Tray Bake recipe is my go-to way to cook chicken for Chicken Gyros, Chicken Tzatziki Bowls, Greek Salads or pretty much any Mediterranean-inspired meal I can come up with. This dish is gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, dairy-free, keto, paleo and whole30 so it easily accomodates a variety of dietary restrictions.
I like to serve this Mediterranean baked chicken in a Chicken Tzatziki Bowl, or over rice or cauliflower rice with Yogurt Dill Sauce and Chopped Greek Salad for a bowl meal that's loaded with flavor, texture and nutrition.
Here's what you need to make Mediterranean Chicken Tray Bake:
- skinless boneless chicken breasts
- extra virgin olive oil
- minced garlic
- dried parsley
- dried dill
- dried oregano
- red pepper flakes
- black pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make Mediterranean Chicken Tray Bake:
Slice the chicken breasts into thin slices.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the olive oil, minced garlic, dried parsley, dill, oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
Add the sliced chicken to the bowl, stirring to coat.
Spread the seasoned chicken onto a greased sheet pan. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Serve immediately once cooked.
Hint: Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy cleanup.
Want to substitute an ingredient in Mediterranean Chicken Tray Bake? Here's how:
- Chicken - use sliced boneless skinless chicken thighs in place of the chicken breasts for a richer finished dish.
- Spices - use fresh herbs in place of the dried herbs.
- Olive oil - use an equal amount of a different mild oil such as avocado oil.
Try one of these variations of Mediterranean Chicken Tray Bake:
- Spicy - add an additional ¼-1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the oil and spice mixture.
- Deluxe - sprinkle the chicken the fresh lemon juice or top with crumbled feta after cooking.
- One-pan meal - double the amount of oil and spices and add any combination of chopped red onion, chopped bell peppers, zucchini, artichoke hearts, olives, eggplant, mushrooms, potatoes or cherry tomatoes to the pan with the chicken for a Mediterranean one-pan meal.
Or try this Chicken Fajita Tray Bake.
This equipment comes in handy when making Mediterranean Chicken Tray Bake:
Store leftover Mediterranean Chicken Tray Bake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. (Check out this article for more details on how to properly freeze and thaw cooked meat.)
For extra flavor and to add some visual interest, add a bit of char to the Mediterranean chicken by broiling it for 5 minutes before serving.
There are many different variations of Mediterranean chicken, but generally, they all consist of pieces of chicken coated in olive oil and herbs before cooking and possibly sprinkled with a splash of lemon juice before serving.
Looking for other easy chicken dinner recipes like this? Try these:
Serve this Mediterranean Chicken Tray Bake with one of these vegetable recipes for a balanced meal the whole family will love:
Mediterranean Chicken Tray Bake
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Slice the chicken breasts into thin slices.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the olive oil, minced garlic, dried parsley, dill, oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Add the sliced chicken to the bowl, stirring to coat.
- Spread the seasoned chicken onto a greased sheet pan. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Serve immediately once cooked.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended