This easy Sweet Chili Sauce recipe comes together in less than 15 minutes with 6 simple ingredients producing a delicious sauce that is sweet, tangy and has just a touch of spice.
Sweet Chili Sauce is a classic Thai sauce that is sweet, tangy and has just a hint of spice. It's traditionally used as a dipping sauce for chicken, but I particularly like pairing it with seafood as well. Learn more about the history of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce here.
These days you can find Sweet Chili Sauce with Asian ingredients in almost any grocery store or it's easy to make your own Sweet Chili Sauce at home in just 15 minutes with a few simple ingredients. Use this easy homemade Sweet Chili Sauce recipe to make Sweet Chili Salmon, serve it as a dipping sauce with Sheet Pan Pork Tenderloin or Sheet Pan Beef and Broccoli, or serve it with any cooked vegetable or protein of your choosing.
Here's what you need to make this easy Sweet Chili Sauce recipe:
- chili garlic sauce
- fish sauce
- cornstarch mixed with water
- rice wine vinegar
- granulated sugar
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make this easy Sweet Chili Sauce recipe:
1. Add the chili garlic sauce, fish sauce, water, vinegar and sugar to a small pot over medium heat.
2. Stir to combine, then bring everything to a simmer, stirring intermittently.
3. Once the sauce is simmering and the sugar is dissolved, stir in the water and cornstarch mixture.
4. Continue to simmer an additional 5-10 minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken. Then serve immediately, or cool and refrigerate until serving.
Want to substitute one of the ingredients for this simple Sweet Chilli Sauce recipe? Here's how:
- Chili garlic sauce - replace the chili garlic sauce with an equal amount of Sambal Oelek, ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or eliminate altogether for a mild finished sauce.
- Fish sauce - replace the fish sauce with soy sauce or tamari or leave it out altogether.
- Sugar - replace the sugar with an equal amount of honey or any other alternative sweetener.
Try one of these variations for this easy Sweet Chili recipe:
- Spicy - an extra Tablespoon of chili garlic sauce to add more heat to the sauce.
- Gluten-free - while many brands of fish sauce and chili garlic sauce are gluten-free, not all are, so check your labels if you'd like your sauce to be gluten-free.
Store this homemade Sweet Chilli Sauce recipe in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 6 days.
Sweet chili sauce is made with chili peppers, rice vinegar and sugar. Often, it will also contain garlic and/or fish sauce.
Looking for other easy sauce recipes like this? Try these:
Serve this easy Sweet Chili Sauce recipe with one of these Asian recipes for a balanced meal the whole family will love:
Easy Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
- Add the chili garlic sauce, fish sauce, water, vinegar and sugar to a small pot over medium heat.
- Stir to combine and bring everything to a simmer, stirring intermittently.
- Once the sauce is simmering and the sugar is dissolved, stir in the cornstarch and water mixture.
- Simmer an additional 5-10 minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken. Then serve, or cool and refrigerate until serving.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended