This delicious Chopped Mediterranean Salad comes together in just 10 minutes with 8 simple ingredients resulting in a light and crunchy salad that pairs well with almost any meal.
This Chopped Mediterranean Salad recipe is inspired by the light and fresh flavors of classic Mediterranean food. I've intentionally kept this salad simple to let the fresh flavors and textures really shine. Learn more about the history and ingredients of Mediterranean food. This salad is gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, keto and low-carb as is so it works for a variety of dietary restrictions.
Here's what you need to make Chopped Mediterranean Salad:
- freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh lemon juice
- grape tomatoes
- any colored bell pepper
- English cucumber
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make Chopped Mediterranean Salad:
1. Chop the cucumbers, dice the red onion and bell pepper and halve the grape tomatoes.
2. In a large salad bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
3. Add the chopped ingredients to the bowl with the dressing.
4. Toss everything until well-coated and serve.
Want to substitute an ingredient for Chopped Mediterranean Salad? Here's how:
- Olive oil - substitute an equal amount of any other mild oil for the olive oil such as avocado oil.
- Fresh lemon juice - substitute an equal amount of bottled lemon juice or red wine vinegar for the lemon juice.
- Olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper - use a bottled red wine vinaigrette in place of the quick homemade dressing.
Try one of these variations of Mediterranean Chopped Salad:
- Banana peppers - add ¼ cup of diced banana peppers to the salad.
- Fresh Parsley - add ¼ cup of chopped parsley to the salad.
- Chickpeas - to bulk up this salad and make a meal of it add a can of drained chickpeas.
- Romaine lettuce - if you prefer your salads to have a lettuce base add 1 head of sliced romaine to the mix.
- Kalamata olives - add ¼ cup sliced pitted kalamata olives to the salad.
- Feta cheese - sprinkle the salad with ¼ cup of crumbled feta cheese.
- Oregano - add ½ teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh oregano to the olive oil and lemon juice when mixing.
These tools come in handy for Mediterranean Chopped Salad:
This salad is best when eaten within 3 hours of assembling it. You can however prep and chop the ingredients storing them separately in airtight containers up to 24 hours prior to assembling the salad.
Greek Salads and Mediterranean Salads can be similar, but the ingredients may also vary. A traditional Greek Salad consists of a combination of cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese and kalamata olives and may also contain either bell peppers, romaine lettuce and/or pepperoncini peppers. A Mediterranean Salad may contain any combination of the classic Greek Salad ingredients, but at times it may also have the addition of artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers or sun-dried tomatoes.
Looking for other salad recipes like this? Try these:
Serve this Chopped Mediterranean Salad with one of these Mediterranean-inspired meals:
Chopped Mediteranean Salad
- Chop the cucumbers, dice the red onion and bell pepper and halve the grape tomatoes.
- To make the dressing, in a serving bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped ingredients to the bowl with the dressing and toss.
Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods