This delicious Green Chili Egg Casserole is easy to throw together with 6 simple ingredients - eggs, heavy cream, salt, pepper, cheddar cheese and canned green chiles - resulting in a hearty breakfast with a unique flavor.
This Green Chile Breakfast Casserole recipe is a wonderful brunch to serve to crowds because it can be assembled in advance and then bakes while you enjoy your guests. The diced green chiles add flavor but not actual spice so even kids enjoy this crowd-pleasing breakfast! Want to make your own canned diced green chiles? Check out this recipe for homemade green chiles! This breakfast casserole is gluten-free, grain-free, vegetarian, low carb and keto-friendly as is so it works for a variety of dietary restrictions.
Serve this casserole with your favorite garnishes and toppings such as Pico de Gallo, Spicy Guacamole, sour cream, hot sauce, Jalapeno Salsa, sliced jalapeno, chopped cilantro, Mexican Pickled Onions or sliced avocado. Round it out with Carrot Orange Ginger Juice for a well-balanced brunch.
Here's what you need to make Green Chili Egg Casserole:
- heavy cream
- black pepper
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- diced green chiles
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make Green Chili Egg Casserole:
1. Preheat the oven to 425. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Then, Stir in the cheese and diced green chilis.
2. Pour the egg mixture into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake on the center rack for 35 minutes, or until the casserole is slightly browned on top and fully set in the center.
Want to substitute one of the ingredients for Green Chile Egg Casserole? Here's how:
- Heavy cream - replace the heavy cream with an equal amount of milk or any milk alternative.
- Cheddar cheese - replace the cheddar cheese with an equal amount of shredded monterey jack, pepper jack or Mexican cheese blend.
- Green chiles - replace the green chiles with 1 cup of chopped cooked meat or vegetables or omit them altogether.
This egg casserole method actually works well with any combination of ingredients so you can be creative and substitute any cheese you prefer for the cheddar and 1 cup any vegetable(s) or meat(s) of your choice for the chiles. I've suggested a few classic variations below.
- Spicy - substitute ⅓ cup of diced pickled jalapenos or raw jalapenos for the green chiles.
- Deluxe - add 1 cup of cooked crumbled bacon or sausage when stirring all the ingredients together.
This equipment comes in handy for making Green Chile Egg Casserole:
Store cooked Green Chile Egg Casserole in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This casserole can be prepared and frozen unbaked, or it can be cooked, cooled and then frozen making it a great dish for entertaining as it can be prepared in advance.
For an effortless morning, assemble the Green Chili Egg Casserole the night before, cover it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate without baking. Then remove the casserole from the fridge the next morning 30 minutes prior to baking to allow the casserole to come to room temperature. Finally, bake as directed for an easy overnight breakfast casserole.
You can do either! Egg casserole can be frozen uncooked, then thawed and baked or frozen cooked and thawed and heated to serve.
No! You can assemble egg casserole and bake it right away. However, you can assemble an egg casserole and refrigerate for up to 8 hours prior to making if you'd like to prep your casserole the night before.
Looking for other easy family-friendly breakfast recipes like this? Try these:
Serve Green Chili Egg Casserole with one of these side dishes for a balanced meal the whole family will love:
Green Chili Egg Casserole
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cheese and green chiles.
- Pour the egg mixture into a greased 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Bake on center rack for 35 minutes, or until the casserole is slightly browned on top and fully set in the center.
- Cool for 10 minues prior to serving.