This easy Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl comes together in just a few minutes for a quick and delicious meal that can be enjoyed any time of the day.
Cottage cheese seems to be having its moment in the spotlight taking over the internet in the form of puddings, 'ice cream' and fruit bowls. I'm more of a savory girl myself, so I like to eat cottage cheese creations with more savory flavors like vegetables, meat and herbs. Since I like a good everything bagel piled with lox and all the toppings I took inspiration from that to make this Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl that is equally good when served for breakfast, lunch or a snack.
There are so many reasons to love cottage cheese! It's high in protein, low in calories and rich in nutrients such as vitamin B12, selenium and phosphorous. It's also low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free and keto. While cottage cheese is not dairy-free, you can find lactose-free varieties if that meets your needs. Check out this article to read more about how cottage cheese is made and the health benefits it offers.
Here's what you need to make a Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl:
- cottage cheese
- smoked salmon
- halved grape tomatoes
- chopped cucumbers
- diced red onion
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make a Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl:
Spread cottage cheese across the bottom of a serving bowl and arrange the various toppings across the cottage cheese. Enjoy!
Hint: l recommend using either 4% or 2% fat cottage cheese for this bowl and not the fat-free cottage cheese as it doesn't have much flavor.
Want to substitute an ingredient in this Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl? Here's how:
- Smoked salmon - substitute cooked bacon and/ or a diced hard-boiled egg for the smoked salmon.
- Vegetables - substitute any vegetables of your choice for the diced onion, chopped cucumber and halved grape tomatoes. Diced avocado, diced bell pepper, fresh arugula or sauteed spinach would all be great options!
- Capers - use something else briny in place of the capers such as pickled red onions, olives or marinated artichoke hearts.
Try one of these variations of Savory Cottage Cheese Bowls:
- Greek - omit the smoked salmon, capers and Everything Bagel Seasoning and add sliced kalamata olives and some fresh dill.
- Caprese - omit the red onion, smoked salmon, capers and Everything Bagel seasoning and add sliced fresh basil and a drizzle of either olive oil or balsamic glaze.
- Fruit - omit everything but the cottage cheese and add your favorite fresh fruits and possibly some nuts, a sprinkle of cinnamon or a drizzle of peanut butter.
- Breakfast - omit all the toppings and top the cottage cheese with cooked crumbled bacon, a hard-boiled egg, some avocado, a little coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper for a cottage cheese breakfast bowl.
This equipment comes in handy when making a Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl:
Store leftover ingredients from a Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl each in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Meal prep these bowls by assembling several bowls at one time. If possible, place the toppings on one side of a divided container and the cottage cheese on the other then mix everything in when ready to eat.
To add delicious savory flavors to cottage cheese I like to add fresh chopped vegetables for texture, something briny like olives or capers and a topping such as fresh herbs or Everything but the Bagel Seasoning. A rich source of protein such as a boiled egg, smoked salmon or crumbled bacon also makes a great addition.
If you don't like the lumpy texture of cottage cheese but want to eat it because it's an inexpensive, low-fat and nutritious source of protein, you can add it to smoothies or stir it into scrambled eggs. You can also process cottage cheese in a blender or food processor to give it a smoother texture, then eat it with whatever fruit or vegetable toppings you desire.
Looking for other easy breakfast recipes like this? Try these:
Serve this Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl with one of these salads:
Savory Cottage Cheese Bowl
- Spread cottage cheese across the bottom of a serving bowl and arrange the various toppings across the cottage cheese. Enjoy!
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods