If you like regular Rice Krispie Treats you NEED to try these delicious Chocolate Rice Krispies Squares! Like the OG, these come together quickly and easily producing a crowd-pleasing dessert that will have everyone singing your praises!
This classic dessert has been around since 1939 and is still just as beloved now as it was then. Learn more about the origins of this classic here. Kids and adults alike devour this dessert. This Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats recipe is an easy no-bake dessert that any home cook can make and it's a great recipe for kids to help with. These treats are gluten-free, so I love to serve them at birthday parties alongside the cupcakes in case any guests are gluten-sensitive.
If you like Chocolate Rice Krispies Cereal Treats then you'll love some of my other easy chocolate desserts like these S'mores in the Oven, No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars or Deep Dish Cookie Pie.
Here's what you need to make Chocolate Rice Krispies Squares:
- Rice Krispies cereal
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- cocoa powder
- mini marshmallows
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make Chocolate Rice Krispies Squares:
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Then add the cocoa powder and mini marshmallows, cooking and stirring until the marshmallows have melted.
2. Then, add the chocolate chips, cooking and stirring until they have melted.
3. Next, add the Rice Krispies cereal to the melted chocolate mixture and gently stir until the mixture is combined.
4. Spread the mixture into a 9x13 baking pan lined with parchment and allow to cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour before cutting and serving.
Hint: To easily spread the rice krispie mixture into the baking dish, add it to the pan then place a sheet of parchment over it and use your hands to press the mixture into an even layer.
Want to substitute an ingredient in Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats? Here's how:
- Rice Krispies - use an equal amount of Cocoa Rice Krispies for or more chocolatey flavor or puffed rice cereal, cornflakes or Cheerios in place of the Rice Krispie cereal.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips - use an equal amount of a different variety of chocolate chips such as milk chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips.
Try these variations of Chocolate Rice Krispie Squares:
- OG - leave out the chocolate chips and cocoa powder for traditional Rice Krispie Treats.
- Peanut butter - add ½ cup peanut butter when melting the marshmallows in the pot.
No fancy equipment is required to make these Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats but here are a few things that come in handy:
Store Chocolate Rice Krispies Squares in an airtight container for one week. I don't recommend freezing this recipe.
For an extra special touch, sprinkle a little sea salt or sprinkles on top of the Chocolate Rice Krispie Squares immediately after spreading them into the pan.
Yes! These treats can be stored in an airtight container and enjoyed for up to a week!
Looking for other easy dessert recipes like this? Try these:
Chocolate Rice Krispie Squares
- Melt the butter in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add the cocoa powder and mini marshmallows, cooking and stirring until the marshmallows have melted.
- Add the chocolate chips, cooking and stirring until they have melted.
- Add the Rice Krispies cereal, gently folding until the mixture is combined.
- Spread the mixture into a 9x13 dish lined with parchment.
- Cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour before cutting and serving.