This Healthy Bananas Foster is made with 4 simple ingredients - bananas, vanilla, cinnamon and a splash of bourbon - for a lighter twist on this classic New Orleans dessert. Serve with vanilla ice cream for some extra indulgence.
Bananas Foster is a quintessential New Orleans dessert. The traditional preparation calls for a bunch of added butter and sugar resulting in a delicious indulgent dessert. While I enjoy the flavor of the classic, I prefer desserts that are less rich so I created this easy and healthy variation of the original.
Here's what you need to make Healthy Bananas Foster:
- ripe bananas
- vanilla extract
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make Healthy Bananas Foster:
Slice the bananas in half lengthwise.
Place the sliced bananas in a greased baking dish.
Sprinkle the bananas with the bourbon, vanilla extract and cinnamon.
Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, then serve.
Hint: To add a little char to the top of the bananas for visual interest and extra flavor pop the baked bananas under the broiler for 1-5 minutes, watching closely, prior to serving.
Want to substitute an ingredient in Healthy Bananas Foster? Here's how:
- Bananas - substitute sliced peaches, pineapple nectarines or apples and follow this same method for a different twist.
- Bourbon - use an equal amount of rum, scotch or whiskey in place of the bourbon or omit the alcohol.
Try one of these variations of Healthy Bananas Foster:
- Chocolate - sprinkle ¼ cup of chocolate chips over the bananas prior to making for Chocolate Bananas Foster.
This equipment comes in handy when making Healthy Bananas Foster:
Store leftover cooled Healthy Bananas Foster in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Classic Bananas Foster is made with rum or banana liqueur but I prefer whiskey or bourbon for Bananas Foster because they have less sugar than rum or banana liqueur and offer a nice contrast to the sweetness of the bananas.
Looking for other easy dessert recipes like this? Try these:
Serve Healthy Bananas Foster after one of these dinners:
Healthy Bananas Foster
- Slice the bananas in half lengthwise.
- Place the sliced bananas in a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle the bananas with the bourbon, vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, then serve.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended