These delicious Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins taste like classic banana bread but incorporate Greek yogurt to add some protein and use a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour to add whole grains while also maintaining the texture of a traditional muffin.
My Banana Bread recipe is a classic favorite staple and with these healthy muffins you can enjoy the same great banana bread flavor but with extra added nutrition. This banana muffin recipe is great for breakfast, snack or even dessert
Here's what you need to make Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins:
- ripe bananas
- plain Greek yogurt
- baking soda
- whole wheat flour
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- all-purpose flour
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins:
1. In a bowl, whisk together the two flours and baking soda, then set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together with a mixer for 3 minutes. Then, add the yogurt, eggs, vanilla and milk and mix just until incorporated.
3. Alternately add the bananas and flour mixture, ½ of each at a time, and mix just until incorporated. Then, stir in chocolate chips.
4. Pour ¼ cup of batter into lined muffin cups and bake at 350 for 22 minutes, or until the muffins are done. Cool on the counter for an hour before storing in an airtight container.
Hint: To ensure these banana muffins are done, insert a toothpick into the thickest part of the muffin. If it comes out with just a couple of crumbs, you're good to go! If it has some wet batter, return the muffins to the oven for a few additional minutes. (Or try one of these other methods to see if your muffins are done.)
Want to substitute one of the ingredients in these Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins? Here's how:
- Yogurt - use an equal amount of sour cream or butter in place of the yogurt.
- Chocolate chips - substitute an equal amount of chopped pecans or walnuts for the chocolate chips or any other variety of chocolate chips in place of the semi-sweet.
- Sugar - use an equal amount of alternative sweetener in place of the sugar such as stevia or coconut sugar.
- Whole wheat flour - double the all-purpose flour and eliminate the whole wheat flour.
- All-purpose flour - double the whole wheat flour and eliminate the all-purpose flour, the texture will be a little bit more gritty this way but the flavor will still be delicious!
Try one of these variations of Healthy Banana Muffins:
- Pumpkin - substitute 1 ½ cups can of pumpkin puree in place of the bananas.
- Apple sauce - substitute 1 ½ cups of unsweetened apple sauce in place of the 3 bananas.
- Peanut butter - substitute ½ cup of peanut butter for one of the bananas for Peanut Butter Banana Muffins.
These tools can be helpful for making Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins:
Store these Chocolate Banana Muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, adding a paper towel both under and on top of the muffins to absorb excess moisture. Or store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. They also freeze well for up to 90 days.
Never waste a brown banana again by simply putting them in the freezer once they're ripe. Then, thaw bananas at room temperature for a few hours prior to making these muffins.
It depends on the ingredients and your definition of healthy. Most traditional muffin recipes are loaded with sugar, butter and processed flour, offering very little nutritional benefit. My bulking up the nutrition with some whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt, this recipe is healthier than your average banana muffin recipe.
Looking for other bread recipes like this? Try these:
Pair these Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins with one of these easy breakfast recipes for a meal the whole family will love:
Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a bowl, whisk together the two flours and baking soda, then set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with a mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the yogurt, eggs, vanilla and milk and mix just until incorporated.
- Alternately add the bananas and flour mixture, ½ of each at a time, and mix just until incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter into lined muffin cups and bake at 350 for 22 minutes, or until the muffins are done and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs and no wet batter.
- Allow the muffins to cool at least 5 minutes prior to eating. Cool them at room temperature for at least 1 hour prior to storing in an airtight container.