In this delicious Chicken Fajita Tray Bake, chicken, mushrooms. peppers and onions all cook together on one sheet pan for an easy yet flavorful crowd-pleasing dinner.
Classic chicken fajitas are a combination of chicken, onions, peppers and mushrooms cooked on a hot pan and served with tortillas and an array of toppings. I've taken this classic dish and converted it to a sheet pan meal so that everything cooks in one pan in the oven while you have your hands free to do other things.
Here's what you need to make Chicken Fajita Tray Bake:
- bell pepper
- red onion
- chili powder
- smoked paprika
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- sliced mushrooms
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make Chicken Fajita Tray Bake:
1. Slice the chicken breasts, onion and bell peppers.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
3. Add the sliced chicken, peppers, onions and mushrooms to the olive oil mixture, giving everything a good stir.
4. Spread the seasoned chicken and veggies onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Serve with tortillas and your favorite toppings.
Hint: Serve these chicken fajitas with your favorite toppings such as Mexican Pickled Onions, Guacamole, Jalapeno Salsa, chopped onion, fresh lime wedges, sliced jalapenos, chopped cilantro, sour cream or shredded cheese.
Want to substitute one of the ingredients for this Chicken Fajita Tray Bake? Here's how:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts - use an equal amount of sliced steak, boneless skinless chicken thighs or raw shrimp in place of the chicken. Reduce the total cooking time to 20 minutes if using steak or shrimp.
- Spices - use 1 package taco seasoning in place of the smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Olive oil - use an equal amount of a different mild oil such as avocado oil.
Try one of these variations of Chicken Fajita Tray Bake:
- Spicy - add ¼-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the oil and spice mixture.
- Vegan - omit the chicken altogether and double the peppers and mushrooms for vegan fajitas.
This equipment comes in handy for making Chicken Fajita Tray Bake:
Store leftover Chicken Fajita Tray Bake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. (Check out this article for more details on how to properly freeze and thaw cooked meat.)
For extra flavor and to add some visual interest, add a bit of char to the fajitas by broiling them for 5 minutes once they are cooked through.
Chicken should always be cooked to a temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Looking for other easy Mexican recipes like this? Try these:
Serve this Chicken Fajita Tray Bake with one of these cocktails for a fiesta that everyone will love:
Chicken Fajita Tray Bake
- Preheat the oven to 425
- Slice the chicken breasts, onion and bell peppers.
- In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add the sliced chicken, peppers, onions and mushrooms to the olive oil mixture, giving everything a good stir.
- Spread the seasoned chicken and vegetable mixture onto a greased sheet pan.
- Bake at 425 for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Serve the Chicken Fajita Tray Bake with tortillas and your favorite toppings.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended