This Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu bakes in the oven for just 30 minutes, omitting the traditional step of frying, for a meal that is easy and delicious.
Traditional Chicken Cordon Bleu is a French dish of chicken stuffed with Swiss cheese and ham, coated in bread crumbs and then fried. While this preparation is indeed delicious the finished dish can be quite rich and time-consuming. By omitting the steps of stuffing, breading and frying my Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu comes together easily and produces a finished dish that is delicious and healthy. This Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe is grain-free, gluten-free, keto and low-carb.
Here's what you need to make Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- thinly-sliced ham
- Swiss cheese
- Dijon mustard
- black pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Here's how to make Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu:
Slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise into cutlets.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, Dijon, salt and pepper.
Place the chicken cutlets on a greased sheet pan. Top each cutlet with 2 Tablespoons of the mayo mixture and spread to cover.
Next, top each sauced cutlet with 3 rolled-up slices of ham. Finally, top the ham with slices of Swiss Cheese. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes, then serve.
Hint: Line the baking pan with parchment paper or foil prior to baking for easy cleanup.
Want to substitute an ingredient in this baked Chicken Cordon Bleu? Here's how:
- Chicken breasts - use store-bought chicken cutlets in place of the breasts to skip the step of slicing them.
- Ham - use a fancier version of ham such as prosciutto in place of the sliced ham.
- Swiss cheese - use a different white cheese such as Gruyere, Monterey jack or Muenster in place of the Swiss cheese.
- Mayonnaise - use an equal amount of Greek yogurt or olive oil in place of the mayonnaise.
- Dijon mustard - use an equal amount of whole grain mustard in place of the Dijon.
Try one of these variations of Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu:
- Saltimbocca - substitute prosciutto for the ham, provolone for the Swiss cheese and fresh sage leaves in place of the mayonnaise and mustard for an Italian riff on this dish.
- Bacon - substitute cooked bacon for the ham, cheddar or pepper jack for the Swiss cheese and BBQ sauce for the mayo and mustard for a different twist.
Or try this Pepperoni Pizza Chicken.
This equipment comes in handy when making Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu:
Store leftover cooled baked Chicken Cordon Bleu in an airtight dish in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Cook this Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu in the air fryer at 400 for 15 minutes (or until a meat thermometer registers 165 when inserted into the chicken) rather than in the oven.
Traditional chicken cordon bleu tends to be heavier in calories because of the breading and the fact that it's fried. This Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu has omitted the frying and breading for a finished dish with 255 calories per serving.
Want more healthy chicken recipes like this? Try these:
Pair this Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu with one of these vegetable dishes for a balanced dinner:
Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise into cutlets.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, Dijon, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken cutlets on a greased sheet pan. Top each cutlet with 2 Tablespoons of the mayo mixture and spread to cover.
- Next, top each sauced cutlet with 3 rolled-up slices of ham. Finally, top the ham with slices of Swiss Cheese. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes, then serve.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended